Monday, February 7, 2011

1st day of school in KAIST


7 Feb 2011, a new chapter of my life, which is also the first day of school in KAIST. It was an awful yet exciting day I would say. First in the morning, I went to settle my course registration at the registrar team office where I have to fill up a form which indicates the courses I am taking and we are required to obtain signature form the professors to complete the course registration. Well, everything done with a bit of difficulties, especially it deals with Korean lol.

Ok my first class was CBE342 Chemical Product Design held in the Creative Learning Building, one of the prominent building in KAIST. I was the only foreigner apparently in the class and the professor shoot off with Korean throughout the whole session, only when the class ended I could talk to the professor, telling him to teach in English and I was really nervous as there is assignment given on the first class so I bugged him about the assignments. I got my textbook for this module after my lunch at the cafeteria, where I had lunch of baked potatoes, fried chicken cutlet, and hotdogs with curry costs only 2,700 won. I was really worried that I would fail my module here in KAIST as everyone starts to mug hard and the kiasuism pervails all around the corner. Maybe I should start mugging too?

After dinner of Mapotofu 2,300 won, I decided to take a walk outside the campus to enquire about the mobile phones in Korea. But on our way, me and Ji Sin accidentally bumped into a rock band concert call KangJeok (Strong Rival) held in Taewulguan auditorium. It was an awesome rock band, where the standard is way beyond a school CCA (better than those in NUS)! The bass guitarist came out to greet us somemore after the show! LOL we wonder why too, maybe we are the only foreigner again. Overwhelmed with joy, songs of SNSD, free beer and coffee, we proceed to phone shops outside KAIST.


After visiting few shops, we knew that we need a ID card to register a phone legally. What is illegal then? haha which means buying a phone only with a passport, which at first I intended to do. After the detailed explanation provided from a English-spoken shopkeeper, we know that we can get prepaid and postpaid (mostly) phones in Korea from one of the 3 (SK, KT, LG) mobile phone service providers. So my plan now is to make a ID card first so that I could apply a phone legally LOL (more safe and with better phones that could be used in Singapore upon return). So this is my day and I would like to mug some pages before sleep and going to settle things like ID card registration, notes printing, and get a special gift for haha :x.




P/s: Got a free bicycle at the roadside, where there are lots of abandoned used bicycle. Going to change the tyre and it could be used then.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jiuntat, so cool to be SEPing in Korea....Did u learn Korean in NUS before going? Anyways, if u see super Junior, can u please help me get their signatures? hahhahaha

    Have a blast! and ALL the best for ur SEP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay happy cny! btw get a tagboard!

    ReplyDelete